February 18, 2012

We're not crazy

THESE guys are!



Wetsuits? Winds of up to 100km/hour? Temps of 55 degrees? Oh, okay, yeah... and WE'RE the crazy ones. Riiiiiight.
 
When we were in Bariloche, after dropping off some supplies and visiting with local missionaries, we popped on down to the lake. Our objective was to pacify the troops, who, after our run-in with The Shower, were finding missions somewhat distressful and not in the least bit fun. They're kids. When in ministry or missions, it is VERY important to pay attention to your kids (well, it's always important to pay attention to your kids, but you know what I mean). If it's always about everyone else, they will end up hating you, others, and even the God you say you serve.

So we left our friends up on the hill and headed out looking for something fun to do, that they wanted to do.

So there we found ourselves, standing on a deserted lake shore, throwing some rocks and sticks into the water, just minding our own business, when across the volcanic pumice...


Pumice (the white hill of smaller rocks running down the center of this picture)


... walk three guys in wetsuits.


Are you kidding me?!?

Now, I know it's summer and all, but summer in Bariloche is not like summer in Florida. And certainly not on this day. I love the cold, but even I was shivering in the blustery wind, wishing I were somewhere (as in indoors) sipping something warm and cozy, enjoying the view from there. But, because I love my kids, I was standing on this chilly lake shore, being whipped to shreds by some serious wind, throwing rocks into this wild mountain lake, trying to act like I was having fun. Because I'm a good mommy.

But, I must be officially old or something, because I don't do dangerous anymore. Except when God asks me to (which lately seems to be kind of often). And going for a swim in this lake on this day, summer or not, was not on my "Must Obey God" list.

But in these young whipper-snappers went. Young people these days. *shaking head*



And then they disappeared. Lost in the waves. I couldn't help thinking these were probably someone's kids. One cramp out there and no one's gonna hear your cries for help. You're toast. I hope my kids don't do stuff like this. But, considering their parents, they probably will.

:)

*Fortunately, and to my relief, they later emerged from the crashing waves.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Wow, that is some gorgeous scenery!

No you have to be the crazy ones and they get to be the heroes for taking that kind of risk. Sorry. It's the way of the world but you are working for the kingdom of heaven and the reward comes later.

Related Posts with Thumbnails