March 14, 2012

gearing up part two

test driving it on our new living room/dining room walls
My baby, the projector, has been sitting all alone and forlorn in a corner since we unpacked our beautifully donated JESUS Film equipment back in November.

This has frustrated me to no end. I want to use it.

Yesterday

But we're on Latin time now. No one's in that great of a rush round these here parts. And we arrived at a "bad" time of year anyway- the beginning of summer. We were overwhelmed with simply getting healthy, beating 105 degree heat, and getting acclimated. Besides, starting up a ministry takes time.

If you were to ask me what it is I want to do here, it would be this: showing the Jesus Film, travelling around, and evangelizing by showing all these amazing movies we have been given, entrusted with. That is what I want to do.

Up until now Tony has done most of the evangelizing and ministry. That's fine for now, but I'm getting rather antsy. God called me, too. And I will not feel fulfilled if it's just to wash dishes and serve meals and raise my kids (although good and important things). I just won't. But that is me. I can do all that in the US. If all I wanted to do was wash dishes and serve meals and raise my kids (which are good things), I would have stayed nice and comfy at home in the US. But reaching the lost with the message of hope we have in Christ is what I really want to do. If you were to ask. Going to where the Good News has not reached, that is where I want to be. Whether that be here in the city, or six hours up in the mountains out in the middle of nowhere Patagonia, that's where I want to be. That is what I want to be doing.

In all my free time, of course. I have a lot of that, you know.

So lately I've been asking Tony when we are going to show some movies in the slums. His response? With winter coming, it is more important that the families we are working with build a house to live in so they don't freeze to death in the dropping temperatures, than seeing a movie.

Oh. Okay. Touché.


We took our projector on our first mission trip to Bariloche. We didn't end up showing any movies. The trip was a disaster in many ways (I never did get around to expounding on all that went wrong, but let's just say the trip didn't work out or look like I had imagined in my fantastically imaginative, incredibly creative, always dreamily positive visionary mind). We learned a lot on that trip. We plan to not repeat a lot of our mistakes. We're novices, you know. Never done this before. We're learning a los golpes as they say.

So, we're taking our projector again on this upcoming trip to Nowhere Patagonia. I'm serious. It's not even on the map. I checked Google Earth, trust me, it's not there. Let's just say remote. It's a pastor's conference/meeting thingy/visit some isolated families in the mountains type thing of all the pastors in Patagonia. I think. Planning and information are not posted on the church's website here. Because they don't have a website. And everyone is working and hard to get ahold of, including the pastor who has a day job. So all the information we have is that it's very primitive, it gets VERY cold at night, it's 40 km of gravel road once the paved road runs out, we may have to walk two hours to visit some of the families who live there, and yes bringing our projector is a good idea.

Therefore I pulled the projector out again, started connecting and disconnecting wires, and had a jolly good time of it I have to say. We later prayed mightily for open doors in our Bible study tonight, safety on the roads, health, and connections. Hook us up, Lord. We hope to show movies there, but I have to learn to stop saying, "We will do this, we will do that" because half of our plans don't seem to work out when or how we plan them to. But this is a beginning. And we all have to start somewhere.

Another great tidbit is that this will be our first contact with a Mapuche community. We will be staying in a school way up in a remote mountain village (thus the precarious and primitive conditions) in an area where most of the population are Mapuche. Or so they say. You have to ride your horse two hours to get to church, or something like that.

Okay, I'm rambling. It's late. We'll see how it goes...

:)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails