March 5, 2012

My Best Bread Machine Bread

I recently pulled my bread machine out. The like-new Williams-Sonoma one I accidentally stumbled upon in the thrift store last year. I don't think we had the twenty bucks at the time, but I wrote a check anyway, recognizing my find. I never regretted spending the money we didn't have. Sometimes, you just gotta do it. It has more than paid for itself. Besides, I was just getting tired of hand kneeding homemade bread.

So, now that we are feeling a bit more settled here into our new life, I pulled my bread machine out, plugged it into our mega 220V to 120V transformer (lest we burn out another appliance), and started experimenting with the flour and yeast here. It took about a dozen loaves to get it right.


oops

better
 I make two loaves a day. We eat one, and I give away the other. Even giving half of them away, we are still saving tons of money just by making our own bread. Love it.


My Best Bread Machine Bread

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 t salt
4 T honey or brown sugar
3 T dried milk powder
3 T oil (or melted butter)
4 1/3 cups flour (2 1/3C whole wheat, 2C white)*
4t yeast


*you can use more or less until you find the right consistency for your bread machine



2 comments:

Katie said...

I make a fair bit of bread here too, but I don't have a bread machine. I made a really tasty bread this morning that you bake in a Dutch oven. If you're interested, I'll send you the recipe!

Chris said...

Okay, WHAT is a Dutch oven?? I've been trying to find out for years. I'd love to see your recipe - I can make just about anything in my bread machine and am having fun experimenting with new recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails